Cantor Eleazer Schulman, American born cantor with the traditional European style of chazzanut, son of Rabbi and Mrs. Leib Schulman resided in Newark, New Jersey. Cantor Schulman received his English and Hebrew Training in that city. He later attended the Yeshiva in Newark, and studied at The Newark Conservatory of Music, from which he graduated with a professional Musicians degree.
Cantor Schulman attended the Grace Moore School of Opera prior to entering the armed service. While stationed in Italy with the Special Services, he entertained the soldiers in hospitals and rest centers with a repertoire of Opera and English songs. He also officiated Friday evening services in the main Synagogue in Tunis for hundreds of Jewish Army and Navy personnel from the United States, England, Australia, Canada and France. Cantor Schulman has the Distinction of having conducted the first Rosh Hashanah service in Italy soon after the and later officiated the first Shabbat service in Germany with the 7th Army with General “Ike” Eisenhower in attendance. Cantor Schulman was the recipient of the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Five Battle Stars, and three Invasion arrows.
Upon leaving the army, Cantor Schulman was elected to the pulpit of the Congregation Anshe Russia in Newark. Later he became affiliated with the Avenue N Jewish Center where he served for 10 years. In 1959, Cantor Schulman Became the Great Neck Synagogue cantor where he served the pulpit with Honor and dignity.
Cantor Schulman has concertized in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Israel. He has recorded albums of Chazzanut, Israeli and Yiddish, and a complete Slichos service album. These albums are featured in France, England and Israel where they are heard on Radio Kol Yisroel. He has performed for Israel Bonds, Jewish National Fund, Furtherance of Jewish Education, Mizrachi, many prominent Yeshivas and organizations.
Cantor Schulman was Vice-President and Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Jewish Ministers Cantors Association and was president of the Fellowship Guild, a fraternal charitable organization.
Cantor married his Hilda in Newark in 1946. Hilda is the daughter of the later great Cantor Leibel Trainer. They lived in Great Neck since 1960 where their children Debra, Gary, and Larry attended the North Shore Hebrew Academy and Great Neck Schools.